11.02.2008

Free Coffee?



On Tuesday, Starbucks all across the nation will be giving free coffee to voters. If you vote, you can go in and receive a tall cup of freshly brewed joe. After hearing about this, I started thinking. Is the point of this simply to reward those who choose to exercise their right to vote? Or is it an attempt to motivate people to get out and vote? If the latter is the case, what does that say about Americans? Why do we need to be offered a free cup of coffee to 'care.' Shouldn't we take pride in the fact that we can choose our leaders and vote on our laws? And do we really want people voting just so they can get a free cup of coffee? I think I'd rather their uninformed or apathetic votes remain uncast.

Don't get me wrong, I applaude Starbucks and their attempt at encouraging people to get out there and vote. And I will be grabbing my own free cup of joe (who would turn down free coffee). But why would offering free coffee bring the voting American percentages up? I'm just saying, let's think about it, people.

Go out there on Tuesday and vote because you CAN. Vote because you CARE. Then go grab a cup of joe!

0 comments: